Writer/Editor Position for Association Publication
If you've worked on publications and have excellent editing and writing skills and now you're ready to step up and run a magazine of your own, join a small, friendly, supportive association staff and run our monthly 64-page, ad-supported award-winning magazine and bimonthly e-newsletter and help us continue transitioning into the digital age. Excellent opportunity, flexible hours, and work from home office. At this time, it is felt that the writer/editor would serve as a contractor to fulfill these duties.
Our Association has an exciting opportunity for a staff writer/editor who would be responsible for four major functional areas/projects: 1) management of the association's monthly magazine including working with our outside design firm; 2) management of the association's bi-weekly electronic newsletter 3) oversight of content for the association Web site and other electronic communications technology; and 4) additional writing, editing responsibilities for association membership and outreach materials.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, English or public relations, but experience and ability to hit the ground running is most important.
- Monthly Magazine
- Oversee and coordinate the publication process including working with authors, designers and ad sales.
- Identify and solicit feature articles and columns for publication to coincide with editorial calendar and industry happenings.
- Write feature articles and department pieces for publication.
- Thoroughly edit and proofread magazine.
- Inspect proofs for accuracy
- Manage printing and mailing of magazine to ensure timely delivery.
- Develop and adhere to magazine budget.
- Bi-Weekly Electronic Newsletter
- Manage the publication process and deliver bi-weekly electronic newsletter.
- Identify, research, write, edit and proofread content and coordinate some content development with association staff.
- Web site and Electronic Communications
o Write copy for, and regularly update, the Web site.
o Solicit and approve pages submitted for publication by staff.
o Grow with us by learning and assisting in the design, development and implementation of effective electronic communications including e-mails, e-promotions, and social media including blogs, facebook, twitter, etc.
- Association Materials
- Support staff with their communication needs for periodic brochures, member materials, etc.
· Exceptionally strong writing, grammar, proofing and editing skills.
· Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
· Proven ability to meet deadlines.
· Web site editing skills
· Experience with e-mail marketing tools a plus
· Basic Knowledge of HTML or willingness to learn.
· Ability to complete a combination of short-term tasks while managing long-term projects.
· Ability to work independently and as a team member.
· Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to establish, maintain and adhere to budgets.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with the membership. Ability to travel (limited).
The association offers a competitive compensation package. To apply for this position, send cover letter, resume, three writing samples and salary requirements. Phone calls will not be accepted.