|Manager of Communications
- Work with Director of Communications to manage, plan and evaluate the content, printing, distribution, circulation and marketing of magazine, with primary focus on assigning, editing and writing articles.
- Assist with managing duties and responsibilities of the Manager of Production and Design and Staff Writer.
- Design and maintain workflow schedule for editorial, art and production. Traffic the copy, photos and layouts for all editorial pages.
- Serve as head of Communications Department in Director of Communications' absence.
- Manage planning, content and production of special publication projects, annual reports, marketing materials and other projects.
- Perform general editing and proofreading and comply with all editorial quality-control procedures for the Communications Department as well as other departments.
- Write stories, features, columns, special sections and departments for the magazine and other publications in accordance with deadlines, as needed, on a regular basis.
- Monitor and contribute to social media efforts by posting links to magazine content, blogging, initiating discussion topics, relaying pertinent information back to Director of Communications and repurposing content for the magazine, as needed.
- Assist in the development of editorial content and editorial calendar.
- Plan and write or edit copy for design and printing materials needed for all other departments.
- Respond to inquiries about the magazine and other publications.
- Attend select meetings, meetings of Communications Advisory Board, and industry-related education seminars and conferences, some of which may involve overnight travel.
- Monitor coverage of the multifamily housing industry news beat.
- Develop resource relationships with members and industry members.
- Ensure that assembly of ad and QuarkXpress files to be included in publications are executed. Manage final editing and production flow of materials in coordination with Manager of Production and Design, page designer and printer.
- Assist in maintaining ongoing relationships with vendors, including developing production schedule for printer and digital version supplier, as well as researching and evaluating alternate printers and digital version suppliers.
- Contribute to short- and long-range planning, designing and constructing of house advertising and marketing materials and online promotional materials primarily for Communications Department and the magazine.
- Plan, design and create graphics, charts and logos for the magazine and other publications, as needed.
- Assist with weekly electronic newsletter, Web site content and online video production, as needed.
- Fulfill logo and other artwork requests.
- Maintain an index of articles and images and maintain records of communications-related projects.
- Prepare submissions for awards competitions.
- Assist in maintaining ongoing relationships with vendors, including developing and maintaining ongoing base of knowledge of individual printers' specialization, schedules, competitive pricing, quality, dependability and capabilities.
- Research current and new magazine production technology and software products.
- Assist in maintaining National Supplier's Council (NSC) directory.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proficiency with Macintosh computer system; QuarkXpress; Microsoft Office; and Adobe suite, including PhotoShop; and social media platforms.
- B.S. Degree in Communications or related field
- One year experience in monthly magazine publishing or related experience
- Understanding of a digital workflow production process; digital photography; video editing for website posting.
- Daily newspaper or daily news gathering operation experience.