Content Acquisitions Director
October 7, 2011
A professional association is seeing a content acquisitions director. The director manages the acquisition strategy team, acquisition editors, and overall acquisition process for books and other professional development resources. This position requires a blend of education and publishing experience.
· Organizes and chairs an acquisition strategy team, which includes searching, identifying, and obtaining new and relevant content for association products.
· Works closely with the Managing Director of Content Acquisitions & Development to use research intelligence to validate, prioritize, and hone new product concepts.
· Ensures that projects acquired and developed are appropriate for our audience, written to high standards, and completed within a specified time frame.
· Manages acquisition editors.
· Cultivates relationships with potential authors and experts and solicits proposals designed to meet member and customer needs.
· Attends to administrative and general tasks and performs other duties as assigned.
· Successful candidates in similar roles typically hold an advanced degree.
· Knowledge of trends, issues, and customer needs for the industry.
· Knowledge of professional development strategies.
· Knowledge of pedagogy and andragogy theories.
· Knowledge of copyright laws and publishing processes.
· Knowledge of uses for various media (books, video, virtual product).
Skills and Abilities/Critical Success Factors
· Solid project management skills.
· Ability to communicate clearly, both in writing and orally.
· Excellent time-management and organizational skills, with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
· Ability to handle ambiguity.
· Solid technology skills with computers, mobile devices, and electronic content delivery devices.
· A minimum of 10 years' experience in the industry.
· Experience in publishing (i.e., authoring, editing, and production).