Board of Directors Nominations Information & Application
Characteristics of an Ideal Board Member
Leaders effectively create a shared vision that promotes harmony, teamwork, and support. They display a clear vision of their goals, lead by example, and empower others. They excel in training, leading, and motivating people and show appreciation for others’ contributions and achievements. They are forward-thinking and strategic.
Strategic Thinking and Vision:
Intuitive and interpretive skills enable leaders to understand the people around them, analyze data, and act appropriately. They recognize the relationships between the systems within their world and integrate these elements into a coherent whole. Visionary leaders see past daily operations and focus on the larger picture.
Leaders are able to draw on concrete examples of how they have used their knowledge, talent, and vision to make a difference.
Serving as an association leader is both an honor and a reward, but it requires a demonstrated commitment to the organization and its mission and goals.
Ability to Work on a Team:
Many people contribute their efforts toward the realization of an association’s goals and objectives–no one does it alone. Leaders possess the well-developed interpersonal and communication skills essential to effective teamwork.
Sound Judgment and Integrity:
In many instances, popularity brings potential leaders into the limelight of an association. Popularity must be tempered with good judgment and integrity.
Communication and Teaching Skills:
By virtue of their position, current leaders serve as mentors and teachers to future leaders. Enthusiasm, a zest for serving, and the ability to share knowledge with others are important attributes that leaders must be able to pass along to their successors.
Ability to Subordinate Special Interests:
Leaders often emerge because of their special expertise or effective representation of a specific constituency. Leadership, however, may require subordinating those interests for the greater good.
Deadline: April 3, 2017
Slate Announcement: late April 2017
About our BOD
Current Board Roster
Association Media & Publishing announces a call for nominations to serve on the organization’s Board of Directors. Terms include four two-year terms to begin June 2017.
Association Media & Publishing’s Board of Directors, composed of 14 voting members, is responsible for reflecting the views and interests of all members — the Board provides leadership, fosters a shared vision and sense of mission, and is responsible for the organization’s fiscal health.
In accordance with Association Media & Publishing’s bylaws, the Board of Directors must include at least seven regular members and at least two industry service partner members. Regular members are defined as publication, media, marketing, and/or communication professionals of trade, professional, philanthropic, and/or other nonprofit organizations. Industry service partner members are organizations or individuals offering products and services to regular members of Association Media & Publishing. The terms for which the Nominating Committee is seeking candidates include regular members and industry service partner members.
Association Media & Publishing looks for diverse leadership as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, appearance, geographic location, and professional level. The organization seeks directors from all types and sizes of eligible organizations. Preference will be given to members from associations not already represented on the board.
To be eligible for service on Association Media & Publishing’s Board of Directors, nominees must:
Association Media & Publishing Board members are expected to:
- Be a paid and current member of Association Media & Publishing.
- Possess relevant expertise in the disciplines of association publishing and media, including at least five years of experience within the association publishing industry, as either a nonprofit staff member or an industry service provider.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and/or manage innovative programs within their purview. Examples include but are not limited to incorporating strategy, leadership, future focus, risk taking, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Previously demonstrated commitment to, and participation with Association Media & Publishing is preferred. Examples include, but are not limited to, service on an Association Media & Publishing committee or task force.
The Nominating Committee will accept nominations through April 3, 2017.
- Prepare for, attend, and engage in all Association Media & Publishing Board of Director’s meetings. At a minimum, two in-person meetings (typically in the Washington metropolitan area) and eight conference calls are held each year.
- Attend and participation in Association Media & Publishing’s Annual Meeting, conferences, programs, seminars, and events.
- Serve as the leader of a Board-appointed committee and/or task force.
- Encourage staff and colleagues to participate in Association Media & Publishing activities.
- Serve as an ambassador on behalf of Association Media & Publishing in the association, media, and publishing industries.
The Nominating Committee will acknowledge and consider all eligible nominees. The Nominating Committee may hold interviews with and conduct reference check for select nominees. Ultimately, the Nominating Committee will recommend a slate of qualified candidates to fill each position to the Board of Directors at its April 2017 meeting. The slate will then be announced to the membership and the new board members will be installed at Association Media & Publishing’s 2017 Annual Meeting, June 26-28, 2017, at Doubletree Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia.
Questions? Contact Meredith Taylor, executive director, at (202) 591-2457.